[Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..

Gudguyham@aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Thu Oct 13 08:25:01 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/12/2005 10:10:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
n5ito at davidv.net writes:

This is  a 60 Amp breaker I had *tagged* for use for a external shack outside
the  house I don't see being built anytime soon. I want to double check  the
electricians recommendations tomorrow when he arrives and says " You  need
this". Any suggestions on what wire size and ratings these lines  should be?

The 220AC lines will be used for the following  amps.

SB-220 HF Amp (2 X 3-500Z)

Tempo 2002 VHF Amp (Henry 2 X  8874)

FAA AM-6155 Single 4CX400
== On another note, I've heard  wiring this for 205VAC will get a bit higher
Plate current and more power  ?

Amertron AL-80 Single 3-500 converted to 6 meters ( Can it be wired  for
220?)

During contesting all of these amps can be on at one time.  The 110AC lines
should be fine as they will be handling low current stuff  such as power
supply, Rotor control, Etc  etc...

Dave

Dave, Let your electrician see the electrical requirements for each  amp.
The amps you state should not require more than 15A at  220volts....however, if
you upgrade the amps to something like Ameritron  Al-1200's or 1500's you will
need 20A circuits.  This will require #12  copper wire for those circuits.
If you runs are long, you may have to go  with #10 wire with 20A breakers.  If
your runs are short then #12 will be  fine.  Though the amps you have will run
fine on 15A 220v lines which will  only require #14 wire, I advise against
this should you upgrade the power of  your linears in the future.  Your
electrician should know all this  however.  Don't let him talk you into using #14 wire
(though it will  suffice)  Go with #12 wire and 20A circuits.  You may want
to run one  30A line for the future pair of 4-1000's (hi hi)  One of my amps
are  supplied with a 40A circuit :-).....Good Luck 73 Louie  (electrician)