[Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Fri Oct 14 10:39:12 EDT 2005

                 The minimum size wire specified in the "National
Electrical Code" is chosen for voltage drop, and to make it easy for the
electricians to make the right choice, in most cases,  and not for
temperature rise.  I have had a problem with electricians insisting that a
larger size wire is not allowed. And of coarse it is.  Some people function
on simple sets of rules and just can't make decisions based voltage drop,
wire size and length.  So the code accommodates these people who are
hopefully not the licensed electricians but their helpers.

         I ran #6 to my amplifier off an 20 amp 240 volt breaker. It is a
fairly short run but it did solve my voltage drop problem.  I am
considering adding a filtering choke to my power supply. At a full 240
volts it produces much higher voltage my 4-1000A amplifier needs. This
naturally, doing this  would eliminate the need for the larger wire but
would add weight to the power supply.  The upside is that the load
regulation would improve.

73
Bill wa4lav