[Amps] Drake L4 with 3-400Z photos

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Fri Oct 14 12:24:52 EDT 2005

         Speaking of photos with the cover off. I have taken some photos
like these before and I am amazed that up close that my digital camera
still works. I expect that some don't work in intense RF fields. Also, one
day while working on my 4-1000A amplifier I received a phone call. I was
looking at the insides while it putting out a bit more than 2kW CW into a
dummy load. It was not until after I finished the short call that I
realized I was exposing the cordless phone to the strong RF field.  I guess
the reason it did not occur to me sooner was that the phone was working
just fine.
         So, why is it that they can't  make TV sets that will tolerate
much weaker RF fields from our antennas half a block away?  TV's have very
little or no EMI shielding in them.

         Oh yes, about the photos,  it looks like the glass envelope of
tube on the left is scintillating due to electron bombardment. Nice red
anodes as well.

73
Bill wa4lav