[Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 18:13:27 EDT 2005

Hi Kirby,

I don't mean to sound harsh but I kind of get tired of some of the old wives
tales that are promoted about grounding.
When I said "Now with your ground wire cut how do you think you are going to
keep the lightning out of the house when it comes in on all those coax
lines?" I didn't mean to imply that that single ground line to the power
ground was expected to solve the whole problem. My main point was that you
still have the coax lines and other lines coming in from the tower that can
carry the lightning energy and that You needed to do something with that.

The first place you could start is to look at some of the articles on the
polyphaser web site. They also sell an excellent book "grounds for lightning
protection".
What you need is a single point ground system at your shack.
You also need a better ground system at your shack. One ground rod there is
not nearly enough. You need several radials with ground rods on them.
Your single point ground needs to be located within a few feet of the single
point ground system where all your cables, power cables, phone lines etc get
tied together.

I am not sure just how the ground rod connections are made that you now
have. How long are the leads to the ground rods? Does each rod get connected
directly to a leg of the tower?
The coax should go to the bottom of the tower and be grounded there to the
tower.

Your ground at the power panel is probably not sufficient either. More
ground rods and radials may be required there too.

Surge protectors on coax lines, power lines?

73
Gary  K4FMX