[Amps] AC wiring

Tony King - W4ZT amps080605 at w4zt.com
Fri Oct 14 23:31:49 EDT 2005

I think you hit the nail on the head Jason...

If you're going to buy wire anyhow... and run it to your shack... why
skimp?  After all, I*R loss does nothing but warm the insides of your
walls while the low R of larger wire FEEDS that dragon! The total
difference in wire cost will be long forgotten when you're watching the
gentle glow of bottles like the pictures we saw earlier.  I pulled
#6-3+G to the shack from a 50 amp breaker in the main panel and placed a
sub panel (added insulated neutral buss bar) there in the shack with two
240 recepticles and two breakers. One breaker is 20 amps and the other
is 40 amps. I used a conventional 3 wire drier outlet on the 20 amp
circuit and the "new" standard 4 prong range outlet for the other. The
small one will  handle any of the commercial amps and the other will
handle... Puff.

Enjoy the magic... I'm still loving every minute of it after over 40
years as a ham.

73, Tony W4ZT