[Amps] AC wiring

Gudguyham@aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 06:46:06 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/14/2005 8:10:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
aa4lr at arrl.net writes:

However,  with 110, the I^2R losses in the wiring are  quadrupled.

Amen! Most would think that the losses are only doubled, but in the case of
the Sb-220 the losses are quadrupled because the Sb-220 uses a doubler circuit
 in the HV power supply.  No doubt that #14 wire on 220V for a short run for
an SB-220 is adequate.  #12 wire is better yet and will handle something
like an Al-1500 amp just fine.  However, when the day comes you get that  beastly
amp, the #10 wire is nice to have available.  Since I like to build  my own
amps I have one great big power supply with a Variac on the primaries fed  with
#8 wire good for 40 amps.  I set the Variac for whatever plate voltage  I
want.  The supply is good up to 5KV at 2 amps CCS.  As someone  mentioned most
houses are wired with #14 or #12 wire to most bedrooms, usually  more that one
room on a circuit.  In most cases you would find #14 wire in  a bedroom 120V
circuit, this is fine for any 100 watt radio, but running an amp  on the same
line at 120V is NOT recommended.  If the line is #12 wire it  will work OK, but
expect a voltage drop that will cause decreased output.   Their is NO
substitute for running a dedicated 220V line for any amplifier (even  an Sb-200).
Voltage drop on the primaries of a HV transformer in any amp  is NOT your
friend!!  This brings an interesting thought, the line voltage  entering most homes
today vary widely.  I have seen as low as 115 volts and  as high as 123volts.
On the other side 230volts and as high as  246volts.  I personally have 236
volts and a friend of mine has  245volts.  My amp at his house puts out more
power as a result of  this.  Of course this is why he beats me in pile-ups  :-)