[Amps] RF Grounding

Bruce Lanning blanning at acadia.net
Sat Oct 15 12:59:48 EDT 2005

I have been following all the talk regarding RF grounds and the most recent
tale of using water well casings as RF radiators.
All this reminded me of an article I read as a kid in an old Amateur Radio
Handbook ( I think it was 1921) there was an illustration of an in the
ground antenna. This fellow had a hole in the ground, about six feet deep
and six feet in diameter. In this hole he had a large spiral of copper
tubing supported in the bottom of the hole in a mason jar, with the other
end connected to his transmitter. I always wanted to try this out, but as I
am now 75 years old, I guess it will have to wait to the next life.

Another interesting phenomenon. Also many years ago on 75 meters, I used to
talk to the locals in the Norfolk, VA area. One evening the boys said that
my signal was greatly improved. I went outside and my 136 foot dipole was on
the ground. The end insulator had broken. It stayed in this position for
many months and worked great.
Bruce W1GBS ex W4SKT.