[Amps] Antenna Tuner Overheating

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Sat Oct 15 22:44:33 EDT 2005

Jim Brown wrote:

> Any ideas what's going on?  The fixed capacitors in the tuner high
> voltage types, but with significant temperature coefficient. Are they
> heating and changing value?

I'm not familiar with these tuners, but if they use the doorknob
capacitors with N750 temp. coefficients, I am sure that is the problem.

I tried to use these capacitors at only 800 watts in a homebrew 80/160m
tuner and the SWR would start to rise almost as soon as I pressed the
key.  I replaced them with large bathtub micas and the problem went away.

I also had a trap in my inverted L which used four parallel 68 pf 5 KV
doorknobs.  At 1.3 KW, boom!  I replaced them with another large bathtub
mica, which has worked fine ever since.  I think the doorknobs are for
bypass service only.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco