[Amps] AC wiring

Tony King - W4ZT amps080605 at w4zt.com
Tue Oct 18 23:46:45 EDT 2005

Technically speaking you're right about not exceeding the 15 amp rating
placed on the wire and breaker but since you're less than 15% from the
maximum rating, I wouldn't even consider it.  The rating is considered a
maximum, not the current you want to run the thing at.  As I stated in
my earlier post, the cost of the wire isn't anything compared to the
cost of the amp and the rest of your station. If you have no other
choice and your entire house is already wired with #14, including your
240 outlet in the shack, do what you gotta do, but that's not what I'd
do. If you're pulling wire for a new circuit, pull something bigger than
what you think you will need.  I prefer the safe practical approach to
running things rather than pushing them to their limits. After all, the
discussion was pushing IR drop and when you're trying to prevent that,
bigger is better.  Thanks for your comments.

73, Tony W4ZT