[Amps] AC wiring

m.ford k1ern at direcway.com
Wed Oct 19 08:07:23 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "R.Measures" <r at somis.org>
To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr at arrl.net>
Cc: <amps at contesting.com>; "Tony King - W4ZT" <amps080605 at w4zt.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring

On Oct 18, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Bill Coleman wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Tony King - W4ZT wrote:
>
>> Now let's try 240 volts
>> which would give us 2944/240=12.3 amps.  If your line voltage is
>> low and
>> you have 220 volts the current would be 2944/220=13.4 amps. From this
>> example it is obvious you can't run a full legal limit amp on even
>> a 20
>> amp, #12 wire, 120 volt circuit much less any 120/240 volt, 15 amp #14
>> wire circuit.
>
> Seems to me that 12.3 A and 13.4 A are both less than 15 A. So a #14
> circuit seems adequate for your example.

•••   A C-input PSU that pulls 12A avg. will have recurrent peaks of
approx. 100A.

And those peaks will be seen in your neighbors light bulbs if you are
both on the same 15 kva pole pig. Many years ago I had just such a
problem. A power company engineer came down with a couple of
trainees and attached a Dranetz line analyzer while I demonstrated my
CW skills. Realizing that there was indeed a problem the engineer asked
me what I would like them to do about it. A few weeks later they brought
the primary right up to the house and installed a 25 kva transformer on
a new pole. I ran buried 4/0 Triplex to the meter and then on into the main
breaker panel. I get 246 volts, well regulated and my neighbor is no longer
part of the load.  The neutral is bonded to the well casing as it passes by.
The company is Central Maine Power and they are very ham friendly.