[Amps] AC wiring

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Oct 20 10:13:35 EDT 2005

>I just obtained a 2nd Alpha and thought about using the same 10AWG run for
> both.  Then the fog in my brain cleared and I decided to pull another
> circuit for it.

I use two Alphas on one circuit run.  But, I have to plug & unplug depending
on which amp I'm using.  Here's a question for the NEC experts out there.
Since I only use one amplifier at a time, can I parallel the existing socket
in the shack to another one located next to it?  My gut is telling me that
if two 20-A sockets are hot and active that NEC will require that each
socket have the capacity to simultaneously supply 20-A from each socket --
which will force me to make another home run of cabling back to the load
center...

Which brings me to a second question.  Under NEC, can the two home runs of
cabling be paralleled at the load center instead of the shack onto one
breaker as long as the breaker is sized for the capacity of just one home
run?  Or, does NEC specify two completely different paths, including
sockets, cable runs AND breakers back at the panel?

Paul, W9AC