[Amps] AC wiring

m.ford k1ern at direcway.com
Thu Oct 20 12:15:59 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "R.Measures" <r at somis.org>
To: "Tony King - W4ZT" <amps080605 at w4zt.com>
Cc: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring

> On Oct 19, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Tony King - W4ZT wrote:
>
>> Seems a lot of folks have opinions and that is a good thing. Perhaps I
>> am just a little more anal about keeping wires cool (yes, I HAVE had a
>> house fire). Fortunately it wasn't caused by under sized electrical
>> service.
>>
> The last house fire in this neighborhood was caused by rodents eating
> the vinyl insulation on electrical wires.  This happened after the new
> owner of the house decided to get rid of all the cats living on his 2.5
> acres.

I lost everything in a house fire in 1978. Caused by red squirrels chewing
on the newly installed Romex. The arc in the wall was extinguished when
the newly installed circuit breaker welded shut causing the pole pig to
boil.
Had they left the original plug fuses and panel in place the old farmhouse
would still be here. The NEC can spec all the interupting capacity they want
but plug fuses don't know jack about  di/dt  and everytime I see another
house
fire I gotta wonder.

Mike k1ern