[Amps] AC wiring

m.ford k1ern at direcway.com
Thu Oct 20 21:15:18 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer at comcast.net>
To: "'m.ford'" <k1ern at direcway.com>; "'R.Measures'" <r at somis.org>
Cc: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:10 PM
Subject: RE: [Amps] AC wiring

Negative. The 20 amp 120 volt romex line breaker welded shut.
The 100 amp main breaker never opened and the 10 kva transformer
happily provided everything it could until it opened. It was to late.
The inside of the wall was on fire. It was dark. Time to go.

It is my understanding that an arc will only self extinguish if
    a. The path is made longer (wires seperate)
    b. A bigger arc is drawn elswhere (breaker opening)
    c. The source is removed (roasted pole pig)

I'll bet that failure mode has been the root cause of a lot of fires.
Any insurance types care to comment?

Mike k1ern