[Amps] titan amp

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Oct 23 21:23:58 EDT 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:46:18 -0400, Ron Spencer wrote:

>I have a chance to buy a older titan amp thats been retubed in the
>last two years

It depends a lot on the quality and pedigree of the tubes, and how
they have been treated. I bought one about 18 months ago that had
original tubes that had been treated well, but they were more than
15 years old and showed it. Shopping very carefully will find decent
replacements in the $700-$900 range, depending on the source.

I would try to fire it up, check output power, and carefully watch
the grid current over a few minutes. If it creeps up, the tubes are
soft. FWIW, I like mine, and am buying a second from a good friend.
He's asking $1,700 with rather new tubes, and I'm not dickering.
Mostly because he's a good friend and a good engineer, and I trust
him.

Jim K9YC