[Amps] 3-500Z and Cooling Requirements

Steven Cook sccook1 at cox.net
Thu Oct 27 00:41:19 EDT 2005

Team,

I picked up a Henry 2K-4 which runs a pair of 3-500Z fire bottles.  It uses
recessed ceramic sockets and glass chimneys to direct air at the anode cap
and seal.  The Eimac spec sheet indicates something like 12 CFM each at 500
watts of plate dissipation for cooling -- looses in ducting, etc., must be
added to this minimum value.  As part of my Christmas upgrade activities, I
was thinking of putting in a new blower and in looking at the various
offerings, there is quite a range of blowers that would fit the available
space.  I realize that "mo" is "mo bedda" -- to a point.  Once you start
pushing the tubes out of their sockets, shattering chimneys, and bowing
sheet metal -- well, you've gone too far.

Can anyone recommend a good CFM value consistent with reasonable noise, but
that would keep the amp cool under all reasonable conditions of use.
Perhaps someone has been down this path before.  I was thinking of using one
of the Papst aluminum type squirrel cage units in the 100 to 150 CFM range,
but wanted to review your opinions before I shell out my hard earned money.

Thanks to all who may wish to opine...

Steve - WG7K