[Amps] Racal Dana 9028P

Roger Glover r.glover at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 27 20:16:07 EDT 2005

From: "Will Matney" <craxd1 at verizon.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:11 PM
Subject: [Amps] Racal Dana 9028P

> Anyone have any thoughts about how good or bad a Racal Dana 9028P signal
> generator is? I know it will go from audio to about 520 MHz, AM, FM, CW,
> etc. Digital freq counter with coarse and fine tuning. What about the
> signal quality, etc?

Will,

If you mean a 9082, it's a fair but cheap synthesiser. I've got one and use
it fairly often.
Perhaps it's not what you're thinking of as the min freq on this is 1.5MHz.

To me, it's biggest drawback is that it is a  bit awkward to set the
frequency with 5 bands and its coarse, medium and fine ranges for the tuning
knob but otherwise to use it is ok.
Harmonics better than -30db (5-520MHz), -20 (1.5 and 5MHz) - Wow!
Subharmonics better than -40.
Discrete spurious generally better than -70 at 20kHz or more from carrier.
Phase noise is not in the top league at -105db/Hz at 20kHz from carrier, but
for general amateur use it I find it satisfactory and mine seems very
reliable.- now, that's tempted providence!

They seem to sell for about 50 - 125GBP ($80 - 220) at amateur events here
in the UK - multiply that by two from traders.

However, I'd take an HP 8640B over it anytime.

HTH

Regards,
Roger.

r.glover at btinternet.com