[Amps] Mobile high power

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Oct 31 16:08:52 EST 2005

On Oct 31, 2005, at 7:57 AM, HAROLD B MANDEL wrote:

> Hello,
>

>  "250 A-max."
>
> Does that mean 250 cold cranking amperes, or
> 250 Ampere-Hours?

Neither.  Forward motion begins with the 1500cc gasoline engine stopped
and the permanent magnet electric motor powered from the 135kg Ni-MH
battery. .  At higher speeds, the gas engine starts from vehicle motion
fed back through the variable transmission,  At highway speeds both
the electric motor and the gas engine power the vehicle.  During
braking the motor acts as generator and recharges the battery.  Also,
when the engine is running it can charge the battery as well as help
with the forward motion.  The engine is optimized to run efficiently at
a certain RPM, so no variable valve timing apparatus is needed.  The
variable transmission allows the engine speed to remain semi-constant
at various road speeds.  Even though the Prius is rated for 60mpg city,
I averaged 70.3mpg over a distance of 8-miles on hwy 118 when it was
loaded with trucks sucking me along at about 45mph.  At 55mph on a
freeway, the Prius gets c. 50mpg.

> In either case, that's not one heckuva lot.

50kW is small potatoes?.