[Amps] L-4B Switch

Marv Gonsior w6frmarv at dslextreme.com
Mon Sep 5 14:06:18 EDT 2005

Greetings,

To all those who who contacted me, I am sorry to report that there does not
appear to be a replacement for the errant power switch.   The consensus is
that the root cause of the failures is the probable high inrush current to
the power transformer so anything that can be done to limit it will
alleviate the problem.  It was suggested that an external switch be used
while leaving the switch in the "ON" position.  Another suggestion was to
spray the switch with WD-40, work it about 30 times and let it sit for a
few hours thereafter.  This worked for Fred, K2GKM.  This switch is also
used in the L-7 so junker parts, in either case, could be a
source.  Another suggestion was to rewire the switch, incorporate a small,
1/3 ohm current limiting resistor connected to the low voltage side of the
switch so you would start in that position and then switch to the high
voltage position for operating.

73,

Marv, W6FR