[Amps] L-4B Switch

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Sep 5 15:22:05 EDT 2005

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:06:18 -0700, Marv Gonsior wrote:

>The consensus is that the root cause of the failures is the
>probable high inrush current to the power transformer so
>anything that can be done to limit it will alleviate the problem.

A company I know from the pro audio world makes a product that addresses
this problem. Check out the ICE modules made by SurgeX.

www.surgex.com

http://www.surgex.com/products/ice20.html

They're well respected in our industry, located near Philly, their marketing
mgr (Don Kugler?) is a ham and pilot. Their main products are series-mode
surge suppressors. Turn-on surges are a common problem with big sound
systems, as dozens of big power amps all get turned on at once, each with a
large inrush current to charge filter caps.

Jim Brown  K9YC