[Amps] Paypal only

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Apr 13 04:06:03 EDT 2006

PA3DUV wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I cannot agree more. On all my amplifier deals over the last years I used
> Paypal, either as a seller or buyer. I am happy to pay the fees as the
> reward is a safe and fast money transfer AND the fact that reliable
> people take Paypal, scammers NEVER take Paypal.
>
> Cheers, Dick
> PA3DUV

Paypal is not safe as a seller. Do a bit of searching around the Internet with
'chargebacks' in the google search term.

1) Someone steals a credit card.
2) Pays for the goods on the stolen credit card.
3) You ship the goods to their Paypal registered address
4) The true owner of the credit card notices the unauthorized transaction and
reports it.
5) The credit card company contact Paypal who withdraw the funds while it is
under investigation. (i.e. the seller is guilty until proven innocent).

This has happened to lots of people. And it can happen up to about 3 months
after Paypal send you a note saying you have been paid.

It's in the 'Seller Protection Policy'

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_spp-outside

This site has a lot of rubbish on it.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

but there is a lot of truth there too.

Also, whereas for a normal credit card, the credit card companies will assume
you are innocent on a claim until proven otherwise, this is not the same on
Paypal. If a buyer objects, Paypal withdraw the money from the sellers account
until it is proven in their favor.

I'm seriously considering *not* taking Paypal on high value items, but for
low-value ones it is the most common.

A friend recently sold a high value item (about $3600) and stated he would make
his own checks before sending if paying via paypal. Luckily the buyer wired the
money, as he offered a discount for doing that.

Payal is far from safe in my opinion.

There are gothcas for buyers too - I have been ripped off by sellers on eBay.
Sure eBay have a prtection scheme, but I got about 50% of my money back. Paypal
was not used for that transaction (it was before it existed). Read about my
experiences here if you want.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.marketplace.online.ebay/browse_frm/thread/fa545940f8411d1d/519d7a31e6a94e83?lnk=st&q=insurance+ripoff+ebay+else&rnum=1&hl=en#519d7a31e6a94e83