[Amps] Ameritron Amps

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Aug 6 14:37:48 EDT 2006

> Polycarbonate seems to perform well at both low and high
> frequencies.
> @ 1.2 kW input in my center loaded mobile vertical the
> Lexan loading coil
> tube with internal helix groove where the coil wire is
> embedded works very
> well in mobile SSB service. I guess that sort of plastic
> could be used in
> tuners and amplifier

Almost all "problems" with dielectrics come from use in
capacitors or insulation applications with concentrated
electric fields in high-impedance areas.
I can't understand why people seem to keep right on thinking
a dielectric with a high dissipation factor at a certain
frequency can't be used as insulation on that frequency.

This was covered very well a few weeks ago.

There is a lot more that goes into it than dissipation
factor, as a matter of fact that often is one of things that
doesn't even influences dielectric selection.

If I was building a solid dielectric transmission line or a
capacitor, I'd worry about electrical characteristics. If I
was building a coil support or  insulating support posts, it
would probably be one of the things I worried about the very
least.

73
 Tom