[Amps] Tuned Input - IMD and efficiency

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Aug 9 10:25:15 EDT 2006

>> Nickel-chromium (resistance) wire is like copper wire
>> with the
>> resistor built in.

Since the primary current path at low frequencies is through
the copper, and the primary current path at the highest
frequencies is through the parallel resistrance chaning the
resistance of the conductor in the inductor has the largest
effect on the lowest frequency.

>> “The combination of both resistance and inductance is
>> very effective
>>in limiting parasitic oscillations to a negligible value
>>of current.”

The idea of a suppressor, if one is necessary,  is to dampen
load the circuit with resistance so the stage is stable.
It's not to minimize the current of an oscillation.

>Henry Radio came up with the novel idea on the 8K-Ultra. A
>large brass strap
>was wound into a single turn, and heavily chrome plated.
>This serves as the
>parasitic suppressor on the 3CX3000A7. No additional
>parallel resistor is
>needed. I love those who think out of the box!

There are often many ways to solve a problem. Many times,
especially with tubes like the 3CX3000, a suppressor isn't
even needed.

73 Tom