[Amps] Checking for IMD

Martin AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Fri Aug 11 10:43:04 EDT 2006

Bill,

I've wondered about this, too.  The lab method is to use a high-priced
spectrum analyzer, but couldn't you do something useful with a soundcard
based spectrum analyzer?  You would need to have a linear detector and a
two-tone audio source.  This would be similar to the IMD measurement you
get with a PSK31 monitor.  The trouble is you need pretty good dynamic
range to measure a healthy system.

You could check the boxes being sold by www.cleanrf.com as described in
the latest CQ.  They let you look at "linearity" on a scope.  My take is
that you will only catch gross non-linearity (overdrive), but you
wouldn't get quantitative IMD numbers with this approach.

73 Martin AA6E