[Amps] Anodizing aluminum, painting etc.

K8MLM at aol.com K8MLM at aol.com
Wed Aug 16 14:07:12 EDT 2006

There are 3 modes of heat transfer;

-radiation,
-conduction and
-convection ... where a moving fluid (air) carries the heat  away.

The convection mode of heat transfer comes into play for the  heatsink to get
rid of heat to the air by conducting the heat to  the air.

A black anodized heatsink will radiate more heat than a silver one  will as
long as it is not "in view" of another radiant heat source... like next  to the
glowing red anode of a big glass tube.

Regarding conduction (transfer from the heat source to the heatsink and  from
the heatsink to the air), the Back Anodizing won't make much  difference.
The insulating quality (elimination heat transfer by  conduction) of Back
Anodizing is for all practical purposes,  nil.

Regarding convection; it won't make any difference. The thing of most
importance is air or fluid flow.... so keep the heatsink clean and free of  dust.

I actually like Red or Blue Anodizing on my heatsinks.  My XYL likes  pink.

Bob
K8MLM

In a message dated 8/16/2006 12:38:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,