[Amps] AL-1200 Low High Voltage (HV)

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 05:46:19 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/21/2006 9:16:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dezrat at copper.net writes:

FWIW, I could never get more than about 1300 watts out of my  AL=1200
with 100 watts drive. I used two different transceivers and  two
different power meters.

--
Bill,  W6WRT

Bill, I have had MANY AL-1200's.  I'd say I have dealt with about 20  of them
over the years and every one I have had would make a maximum of 1800  watts.
They were all tested into a Bird dummy load using a Bird 43 watt  meter and
checked against other watt meters as well.  No chance that there  were bogus
readings here.  I will say however, that the tube must be right  up to snuff and
the HV should be at least 3600 or better at idle to make these  numbers.
Basically I always use a Yeasu FT-847 to check all the amps  out.  I do not see
more than 100 watts out from it.  I have noticed  that the MOST temper mental
HF rigs for cutting back on power into a "load" is  the Icom line up of radios.
If you told me you were using an Icom as an exciter  I would tend to fault
the exciter, however you mention you have used various  exciters.  Perhaps your
tube is a little off on gain?  As I mentioned  many times before the AL-1500
and the AL-1200 and the AL-82 are all basically  the SAME amp, everything
pretty much the same except for the tube.  I have  also dealt with many AL-1500's
and AL-82's.  I actually convert AL-1200's  and AL-82's over to 8877's.  I have
done several of these.  My  experience is that an AL-1500 will make a maximum
of about 2250 watts with 100  watts drive.  An AL-1200 a max of 1800w and an
AL-82 1500-1600w  (depending).  I have obtained these figures time after time
with all  parameters being what they should on all of the amps.  This is to
say the  tubes are right up to par.  Would be very interested to know what yours
is  so off the mark. 73 Lou