[Amps] Cutting G-10 Board

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 15:13:06 EDT 2006

Mike,

For 1/4" thick board, you will probably need a slightly larger router. Those new zip routers they make for cutting drywall would do it as they have more torque than a Dremel tool. Use about a 1/8" bit at least if not a 1/4" diameter bit. These big sheets can be handled on a set of saw horses, etc if you dont have the bench room. In that case, clamp the straight edge to the material itself then route it. Use a straight cutting bit at fairly high speed like wood and it will slice right through it. This works well for Micarda too.

The Dremel tool with the router base can be used to cut pads and traces on a piece of PC board once you get the hang of it. Just make sure the board doesn't move around under it. For this use a 1/8" wide round nose or V bit, etc. Set the depth about 1/4 to 1/8 the thickness of the PC board using a gage. In other words, for 1/16" board, take about a 0.08" or slightly less depth of cut. Really you just want it deep enough to cleanly cut the copper off. Take your time and follow inked lines on the foil side of the board.

Best,

Will