[Amps] Super buy on the Bay!

Tom Hix w4th at charter.net
Sat Feb 4 06:34:33 EST 2006

I saw the posting about the D&A Phantom amp listed on Ebay, and I thought I would give you a little info on the D&A line of amps.
The D&A amps were made by D&A Manufacturing Company of Scots Bluff Nebraska. The company was owned by Vera Delaney.
Back a long time ago (late 60's early 70's) before I saw the error of my ways, I was a D&A Amp Dealer.
Believe it or not..... for what they were....... the D&A line of amps were well made, and considered by many to be the very best amps made for that service.
The D&A line of amps consisted of the following
Hawk- 25 watts
Hornet- 50 watts
Raider- 100 watts
Maverick- 250 watts
Phantom- 500 watts
Warrior- 1000 watts
Falcon- 400 watts (mobile)
Bandit- 100 watts (mobile)
Scorpion 100 watts (mobile solid state)

All the amps except the Scorpion were tube type......All of the D&A amps used sweep tubes.... the Phantom and the Warrior both used 6LQ6, GMJ6, OR 6JE6C, depending on different variations in the design......There were three or more variations on the Phantom.
The first Phantom model used 10 6JE6C/6LQ6.......The next Phantom model use only 8 tubes.....the 6MJ6....The first models of all the amps were designed for 11 meter use only, but in the early 70's the FCC cracked down on the amp manufacturers, and they started putting band switches on the amps so they could call them amateur amps......They had band switches for 10/15/20/40 meters. As the FCC continued their crack down D&A started calling their amps C.W. Transmitters.. they even put a crystal socket on the front of the cabinet......during this time the amps were shipped not working on 11 meters......the buyer had to re-tap the tank coil and move the tap down or up a few turns to get it to work on 11 meters.....In the final days of their existence All the D&A amps were made this
way.
I guess a lot of guys are saying who cares!!! I only mention these amps for those of you who may run across one and may want to do some kind of conversion on it......maybe put some of the smaller Russian tubes in one of them......Like I said before......for what they are.....they were built fairly well, and were considered by most folks to be the top of the line.

Tom's Tubes: Amateur radio amp tubes,
G3SEK triode/tetrode boards and kits,
CTHRD C.W. Keys & K4POZ  Antennas.
www.tomstubes.com