[Amps] Needed: Easy to Wind Low Value Meter Shunt Wire

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sat Feb 4 09:28:45 EST 2006

"Is there a retail supplier  of  low value nichrome type resistance  wire
(per linear
length)   that allows for the quick calculation and fabrication of meter
shunts within a range of  fractional parts of an ohm?"

Yes!  Years ago I volunteered to help a fellow amateur build a large solar
tracking array.  One of the things I needed was to build a couple of dozen
shunts.  Like you, I needed something off the shelf, cheap and repeatable.
Once I started looking in the right department, the answer was easy - office
supply.  I purchased a box of paper clips and measured their tip to tip
resistance at .025 ohm.  Each one was exactly the same.  I needed about .02
ohms, so my solution was simply to reduce the length a bit.  In your case, a
larger or different paper clip, or two in series will yield the .05 ohms.
Bending them with the right flair will yield a nice looking shunt.

The article about these paper clip shunts was published in Hints and Kinks
in QST and in the 13th edition.  I still have a half full box of meter
shunts on the shelf, ready to serve in an emergency as a paper clip.

73,  Colin  K7FM