[Amps] Ebay and engineering books

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 16 21:55:33 EST 2006

Jeff,

Yea, I have the one by Ruben Lee. I can see why Dahl would recommend it as it has some in there about Hipersil C-Cores. If I recall, it shows some used by GE called spiral-core or something similar. It does show the same basic transformer formulas, and what I couldn't figure by it having C-Cores is it didnt have the WA product formulas if I recall. The WA product is the window area x the core area, and is used to determine the power capability of any odd shaped core. Since C-cores are made in bookoos of sizes with odd window dimensions compared to the core area, that's about the way your supposed to do it. Matter of fact, Magnetic Metals show the WA product for each C-Core in their catalog. The other transformer formulas will work, but if the core has a really long window compared to the core area, the power rating can be off due to the magnetic path length. Most formulas that are used for EI construction take into consideration the scrapless EI design where all the windows come out to a certain dimension compared to the core area each time. In other words the window width is generally 1/2 the core tang width, and the window height is 1/2 the transformers whole width. For 60Hz, the area can be calculated from 0.1725 x sqr rt of the power in watts or volt amperes (watts if the load is resistive). Using that with a C-core though, with long windows, will be off some I would think.

The ones by McLyman show a new way of calculating cores also called the K factor, I think it is, which I've not tried yet, just read about. I think though it's something similar to the WA product except that he has some pre-determined factors to use for temperature rise, etc.. One thing I noticed, and didn't agree with, was a formula in there to determine the power required by the secondary which pretty much would say everything had to be multiplied by two. This has to do with efficiency and he put a +1 on the end of the division which makes it come out that way. A bridge rectifier with capacitor input uses about 1.6 to 1.8 for the multiplier in most formulas I've seen, and according to how big the filter cap is. A full wave center tap uses less, and if I recall supposed to be X1. You can find that in the core design book by him, and see what I mean.

I have a book here on staurable reactor design that shows some problems with any tape wound core like a C-core or a toroid. It shows they have more losses than an EI does of the same material. I'll look up the name of the book and share it here. I dug into this and sure enough, it was correct. Check Magnetic Metals website for the C-Core loss curves, and then Tempel Steel for the EI materials loss curves. Tempel bought the EI line from Magnetic Metals so it's their work. Microsil, Hipersil, and M-6 is the same alloy, and what to look up for any watts per pound loss curves.

Best,

Will