[Amps] Ebay and engineering books

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters at aol.com
Thu Feb 16 21:16:57 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/16/06 6:10:03 PM Central Standard Time,
amps-request at contesting.com writes:

<< Actually, I have gotten some real deals off ebay, you just have to keep
looking for them. My whole electrical/electronic, and mechanical engineering
library came from there with a few through Abe Books, and Alibris. I bought 25
books at once off one seller for an average of $1.25 each, and were all very
good electronic books. I just bought a transformer book by William McLyman that
regularly sells for $115+ on there for $10 off a guy. There's another one left,
the link below. I bought the one titled "Transformer and Inductor Design
Handbook". The one that's left which goes with it, and by the same author is
titled "Magnetic Core Selection for Transformers and Inductors" which I already
had. That's a really good deal off the prices everywhere else including Abe
Books. Anyhow, I probably have about 200 books on electronics alone, not counting
mechanical engineering, and most were from ebay over the years. If I want one,
I never buy the first one I see and may wait months until
  I see a good deal and buy it. I have done like you mentioned and posted a
book I need and a book seller will contact me. It's all in playing the game for
a good deal. I'll check those others out you mentioned, they may have
something I want.

Will:

Those two books are published by Dekker and they are very good books. I got
mine from the publisher and paid through the nose.

Another good transformer book, maybe you covered this one already, is a work
written by Ruben Lee, Electronic Transformers and Circuits. This one was
recommended to me by the friendly folks at Peter Dahl company. It is a great book
if you like that transformer math. If you like high power stuff, there is the
J. & P. Transformer Book published by Butterworths. It covers those power
substation monsters but the electrical/magnetic math is the same with interesting
stuff about cooling and failure modes as an extra added bonus. Makes for very
enjoyable reading on the train if you are not into War and Peace.

No doubt, Ebay is a wonderful source for books and many other things. I buy
from Ebay too and have gotten some good deals there. My point was that you do
not have to rely on Ebay for good used books at fair prices.

I have a book I bought and have not opened it since I bought it. It's called
The Universal Vade Mecum and it is a tube data book complete with curves. The
end boards are slightly twisted because of the goofy way it was sitting on my
library shelf, but in otherwise new condition. I would like to see someone
adopt this book and give it a new home. I raided Fort Knox to pay for this book
too. I also have a three volume set of Tung Sol data sheet books, about four
inches thick each, I would love to dump. Anyone here interested in this kind of
stuff, please write. There are some other books I want and I need some
spending $$$.

Anybody out there have a manual for the AN/FRT-72 100 kW transmitter laying
around just collecting dust? I love that high power stuff and I sure would like
a copy of this manual.

Jeff Glass