[Amps] RE : boonton 59

Colin Lamb k7fm at teleport.com
Mon Feb 20 16:11:42 EST 2006

The Boonton uses a tube we call an "acorn" tube.  It is a 955 triode.  Still plentiful and used in a few pieces of unretired test equipment.  Also used in some of the early WWII uhf equipment.

The Model 59 is still one of the very best grid dip meters and sells for about $70 to $100.  Because they are old and use vacuum tubes, you can occasionally find them under the table at swap meets for $5 - if you are lucky.

I figure that the supply of 955 tubes will run out in about 300 years.  At that time, you can substitute an fet transistor in the circuit - if you can find an fet transistor.  Changing the voltage should make it usable with the fets.

Most grid meters do poorly on the highest range, but the model 59 keeps on ticking.

73,  Colin  K7FM