[Amps] Another use for Neon Lamps

kenw2dtc kenw2dtc at comcast.net
Mon Jan 2 23:37:57 EST 2006

>> >For the younger guys on the list. Neon lamps can also serve a very
>> >important
>> function in Amplifier Construction, that of a stray RF Detector. They
>> will glow
>> in the presence of RF energy and come in quite handy to check that an
>> enclosure
>> is RF Tight.

My elmer told me that if you put DC source in series with the neon bulb and
a resistor and set the voltage just below the ignition voltage of the neon,
it became a more sensitive indicator of RF.  The old guys used "B"
batteries.  Today one could charge up a decent quality cap and get the same
result.

73,
Ken W2DTC