[Amps] How about this furnace?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Jan 3 06:17:40 EST 2006

On Jan 2, 2006, at 5:26 PM, Jason Buchanan wrote:

> R. Measures wrote:
>
>>> haw - I've seen those.  Novelty items - Echolink 2.0.
>>

>> Novelty, hogwash, points is points.
>

> whoa - waitaminit - I didn't catch that the first time around - you're
> saying these guys are using echolink and all that junk during
> contests?

Jason --  I know nothing about Echolink,
.  The Internet and remote controlled receivers allows one to listen to
a QRP DX signal from his area.  Before the Internet blossomed, there
were remote control receivers in a number of countries that were linked
through telephone lines and controlled with touch-tone phones.
According to one source, the winner of one DX contest had a >$2000
telephone bill for the month of the contest.
As I recall, the old adage "You have to hear 'em before you can work
'em" was history after about 1981.
---- note - the use of remote receivers pretty much requires the use of
a tetrode with handles amplifier.

When people say that amateur radio is only a hobby, I chortle.
cheers