[Amps] Is solid Cu 600VAC house wire, good for tank toroids?

KD7QAE KD7QAE at ARRL.NET
Thu Jan 5 00:49:43 EST 2006

All,

While testing some cores in the shop tonight I happened to grab a hunk
of 10AWG solid Cu insulated house wire and threw 10 turns on a T400
core.  It sure was pretty, all red and grey with big white turns.  The
insulation looks like it would handle much more than 600V with a heavy
plastic (PVC?) and a thinner clear (nylon?) secondary insulation.  My
questions are this: Has anyone hipotted this kind of wire and has anyone
RF tested this insulation?  The conventional wisdom has you double tape
the core with silicone or fiberglass tape and wind with a TFE sleeved
wire.  Perhaps the use of house wire would simplify this step(?).

I am now ducking and waiting for the sound thrashing I deserve!

Tomm, KD7QAE