Re: [Amps] Is solid Cu 600VAC house wire, good for tank  toroids?

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 04:45:51 EST 2006

Figure that you'll have the HV minus around 400 to 1000 volts (depending on tube etc) across the coil. PVC is pretty lossy, and nylon isn't any better. My feeling is that you're well on the way for some acrid smoke and a few fireworks. I've seen the results of trying to use 600 volt rated wire for the taps on a tank coil for a 2 MHz marine radio. That had 3 6146Bs in and was rated at 100 PEP watts out. It was the CEO who insisted that PVC was used - much cheaper!: engineering (me) said we needed Teflon insulated wire. we went to Teflon......
73
Peter G3RZP