[Amps] Westinghouse BC Ammeter QX-37

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Sun Jan 8 19:46:54 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 07:36 AM 1/8/2006, HAROLD B MANDEL wrote:
>The power supply is rated at 2545 VDC at 1.5 amperes.
>
>Hence, the power supply runs 3817.5 Watts through
>the amplifier.

This part of your question puzzles me. I see you are in the US, so
you will be running max output of 1500 watts. Most amplifiers are
about 60-66% efficient, so the input will be around 2500 watts. Where
does the figure of 3817.5 watts come from? At no time should you be
putting that through the amp or lots of smoke will escape.

With 2545 VDC to the amp, the current should be a bit less than one
amp when tuned up. Since your meter's resistance is .33 ohms, a
single diode across it will begin to conduct at about 1.5 amps. I
would use it that way, knowing the reading will never go above 1.5
amps. If you put two diodes in series, they will begin to conduct
around 3 amps. Since the meter is rated for two amps anyway, no harm
is likely to result. Meters are damaged by a massive overload, not by
50%. Your choice.

Hope that helps.

Bill, W6WRT