[Amps] Clean -vs- Unclean

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 11:23:53 EST 2006

HAROLD B MANDEL wrote:
> This question concerns signal cleanliness.
>
> A recent thread talks about unclean signals
> from poor amplifier construction.
>
> As an aside, talking with one of the commercial
> manufacturers earlier, I was told that his products
> are -49dB down, as opposed to others that were
> -43dB down.
Be wary of manufacturer's comparisons. They're often not entirely like
for like.

> What specific components lead to a betterment
> of this parameter?

Depends on the amplifier type and design, but the most significant
factor is usually the rf device and how hard it's run. On tube
amplifiers, operator ajdustment is likely to dominate over everything else.

> In a simple triode, running GG, does the choice
> of value of the plate blocker, padder caps and
> tune/load capacitors matter?

Assuming they're all reasonably fit for purpose, probably not, compared
with how it's tuned and driven.

Steve