[Amps] Clean -vs- Unclean

peter.voelpel df3kv at t-online.de
Mon Jan 9 14:59:51 EST 2006

Hi Tom,

those two were 1000MP Mark V used on different locations.
It happened almost incidently to both rigs during a hot summer
period.
Both rigs were installed in a typical shelf put on a desk with not too
much space around but open at the back.

If I were you I would stay with the FT-1000D.
We have four in use at our contest station DF0CG.
2 years ago when we were to run WAE M/S there I was told not bring
my IC-765 with me as on other events, there will be a brand new Mark V
Field.
That rig was installed at the 80m position, when we passed Emily P43E
as a multi from 40m the operator was not able to make the qso because he
could not copy her.
I know Emilys strong signal on 80 quite well, so I could not believe that
and we tried again, not audible in the noise.
We swapped the FT1000MP to the TS-830s spare and it was armchair copy.
The problem was either phase noise or the DSP, I do not know we left the
Kenwood rig on for the weekend and used a R4C for split.
Perhaps the Field version is worse then the Mark V and need also
modifications to become better?
The proud owner at that time is also using the 1000-D now...
FT-1000Ds are very rarely offered here as well and are still expensive,
so are IC-781, IC-775, IC-765, Omni6D. I think that is for good reason!

73
Peter