[Amps] Meter Res.

John Popelish jpopelish at rica.net
Tue Jan 10 21:50:54 EST 2006

n4vos at bellsouth.net wrote:
>John Popelish <jpopelish at rica.net> wrote:
>>Ron Spencer wrote:

>>>Does anyone know where I can buy one  or have a 5 Meg Resister I need one to go in a meter Circuit. I have 5 - 1 Meg but I don't what to make a PCP to put them on.

>>What is the peak voltage you will drop across this resistor?

 > 5000 Volts dc

Wow!  5 watts of heat and at least a 5000 volt continuous rating.

I would go with 10 each 1 watt, 500k, 1% resistors, each rated for at
least 1000 volts, to expect stable long term operation, since this is
part of a measurement system.

Something like Slim-Mox SM102F-500K @ $4.43 each.
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T061/1240.pdf

If you are satisfied with 5% tolerance, you could use 5 each, 2 watt,
  1 Meg resistors rated for at least 2000 volts, like SM204J-1M @$5.89
each.

Ohmite makes a 5.5 watt Slim-Mox, 5 Meg (SM410 series) but Digikey
doesn't carry it.
http://www.ohmite.com/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?product=v_slimmox

Their Maxi-Mox series (up to 12.5 watt with plenty of voltage rating)
is a good fit for a single resistor doing the whole thing, but I don't
know who distributes them.
http://www.ohmite.com/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?product=v_maximox