[Amps] AL-80A Relay troubles

Joe Musto joe at jtme.com
Thu Jan 12 08:03:25 EST 2006

Bill,

I own a used AL-80A and I haven't had it long but it had the same problem
when I got it.  When I unkey, the receive would be down quite a bit, which
means the relay contacts are dirty.  I tried a burnishing toll to no avail
so I finally took super fine emery cloth (800 grit I think?) and cut a
piece 3/16" x 2" and polished the contacts.  It has worked fine since.  I
did this as a temporary measure and ordered a new relay.  It was $15 from
Ameritron.  If you order, call their parts dept.  The relay is $15 via
phone order but $35 if you order from their website.  Not sure why the
difference.  Good luck,

Joe - N1FCJ