[Amps] silicone solvent question

gdaught6@stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 12 14:34:33 EST 2006

Hi all,

First, thanks to those who responded to my question regarding a
solvent for cured silicone rubber films.  Here are the responses
(grouped) with my findings:

1.  Read what the back of a tube of silicone rubber says to use as
clean up...  They say "use a paper towel" on uncured material, and
"use a sharp knife" on cured material.  One of the marketing features
is "the cured product is resistant to most solvents."

2. Acetone, alcohol, gasoline, lacquer thinner... they don't work, at
least they don't dissolve the cured silicone rubber.

3. Paint thinner soak, then mechanical removal... This was the key to
my success!  I soaked the parts in "mineral spirits" overnight in a
pie tin, and this didn't dissolve the silicone either, but it made it
less rubbery; sort of crumbly and friable.  This could then be
removed by a fingernail, or a popsicle stick, followed by fine steel
wool.  The socket is back together, and is a thing of beauty!

Note:  I believe that the solvents listed in #2, above, might be as
good or better than paint thinner, but they are generally more
expensive, and who wants a plate of gasoline sitting around
overnight?  Not I. Acetone, etc. evaporate really quickly, and are
serious fire/explosion hazards.

Anyhow, thanks again and vy 73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT