[Amps] Capacitor wanted

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Sun Jan 15 16:27:03 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 11:24 AM 1/15/2006, peter.voelpel wrote:

>A spark gap on the output is helpful against
>wrong or lost antennas.
>
>73
>Peter

The more I think about Peter's suggestion, the more I like it.

Anyone have any ideas for a homebrew spark gap? I envision a gap
created by a screw which can be carefully adjusted and locked in
place. From what I recall of such things, the end of the screw should
be rounded off and polished smooth for anti-corona purposes.

Anything else to observe?

Would it be a good idea to make a separate box outside the
transmitter so it could be put in the coax line? That would help if
lightning induced a differential voltage in the coax, although I
don't know if lightning normally does that. Mostly it's common mode
to ground I suspect.

Bill, W6WRT