[Amps] Burn-in for Eimac?

GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 03:35:16 EST 2006

Steve Thompson wrote:

> Bill Turner wrote:
>> Some of the Russian tubes require a burn-in period after years of
>> storage to de-gas the vacuum. I've never heard of this applied to
>> Eimac tubes, but should it be? In other words, is it a good idea for
>> any tube or just something unique to the Russian designs?
>
> Debates will rage over whether it's necessary, but I can't see how it
> can do any harm.
>> I'm getting ready to fire up an 8877 that has been sitting for about
>> eight years. It passed the AG6K hi-pot test with flying colors.
>
> My first reaction is to think it's ready to go

That was my first reaction too. If you've hi-potted it and *measured*
the leakage current, you have a lot more information than any date code
could provide.

But as Steve says:

> it's been cold for
> 8 years. I don't know if there's a risk of outgassing when it's heated
> up for the first time.

Well there's a little project for you, Bill. Can you leave the hi-pot
tester on while running up the heater, and graph the leakage current?

73 from
Ian G/GM3SEK