[Amps] Building or Buying a Tuned Input Network

w6ah@comcast.net w6ah at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 23:46:39 EST 2006

Bob

The biggest issue you have to deal with is how much effort you want to put into the project versus the available economic resources. The LDG Circuit is a drop-in arrangement that will give you minimum grief but if you want to roll your own you can probably get better results at half the costs.

At the low Q values used in input circuits you can copy and design for the tube you're using with fixed value components and get good results. The only band that gives anyone problems is 10 Meters.

In your post you didn't mention whether the amp was completely homebrew or a manufactured design. If you are dropping in a network to a manufactured amp this in my opinion is the best way to go. If you are building an amp from the ground up and you have a penchant to get the input circuit dialed-in exactly what I would do is drop the slug tuned coils in favor of using ceramic trim caps on both the input and output and then build an access door on the amp to gain access to the circuit for final adjustments. Using a capacitance meter I would preset the trim caps to the values in the design or derived from formulas. The last check after everything is assembled and installed in the amp is to test the circuit cold. Remove the tubes and connect a carbon resistor and  silver mica cap of values that will simulate the tubes you are using. Connect a reflectometer to the circuit input and feed an appropriate level of power to the circuit and measure the input SWR. If it is approximately
  1.5 to 1 or less do not not attempt readjust the caps. Only after everything else is working would I go back and tweak the caps. Remember at these Q values recognising a peak may be very difficult. Don't forget to remove the simulation components before you apply drive power.

If you choose to used fixed value components use silver mica caps.

73s

Bob W6AH
From: "Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ" <k6zz at ccis.com>