[Amps] Building or Buying a Tuned Input Network

w6ah@comcast.net w6ah at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 01:24:12 EST 2006

Bob

I'm willing to guess that he will tell you the expertise of people working on amps varies widely and those at the bottom end of the spectrum are of marginal competence. If I sell a few hundred complete kits I'm going to have a couple of dozen individuals that will keep me tied up on the phone for 10 to 20 hours a week with customer support issues. In essence I wind up troubleshoot these guys amps from top to bottom on issues unrelated to my product. At 60 bucks for the kit I wind up taking it in the shorts. That was why he suspended production of the kits. He produced the kit as a way to supply a finished PC Boards and critical components to eliminate the grunt work of PC board lay out and etching. As well as reducing the the time chasing after relays and toroidal cores. Designing the circuit and coming up with the caps and wiring should not be that big a deal.

Regarding tuning, with the Q levels as low as they are component selection is not that critical. The circuit is there to present a constant load to the transmitter through out the conduction cycle

73s

Bob W6AH

From: "Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ" <k6zz at ccis.com>