[Amps] More: corded dial drive help

Scott Townley nx7u at cox.net
Mon Jan 23 07:53:12 EST 2006

I am unfamiliar with these types of mechanics so it may take me awhile to give all the right info.
The pulleys here use a plastic-covered metal cord (probably steel wire).  Each pulley has a gap on the periphery to permit the wires to route into the pulley area.  There are a pair of raised tabs (similar to clips) on the pulley surface that form a triangle with the gap.  On one pulley the wires are looped, crimped with a malleable and hooked onto these tabs, exiting the pulley via the peripheral gap and then wrapped around the periphery.  The 'far' pulley accepts the wire around its periphery, the wire enters the gap and hooks around the raised tabs in a continuous triangle.  In the end, the wire only makes one 'loop' around each pulley (there is no overlap).
The pulleys appear to be held onto the shafts by what you could call a very short shaft coupler--a cylinder with setscrews but only about 1/4" long.
What it all appears to me as is: (1) there is no means to adjust the cord tension, and (2) I can't figure out how the pulleys even turn the shafts.  The 'shaft coupler' is NOT unitary with the pulley...which I would have expected.  Maybe it's supposed to be, and mine is broken somehow?

Later today I can put some pix of the specifics on the web for viewing.  Maybe the description will help, maybe not.
thanks all,