[Amps] SB-200 Amp with 811 tubes?

carl s. carlseye at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jan 23 18:22:15 EST 2006

 The SB200 *could* be used with 811A's  IF you could find a way to reduce
the hi-voltage to about 1800 (Max). But this is unlikely due to the SB200's
transformer being one for the hi-v and the fil. voltage and the relay
voltage !!!! the key here is the hi voltage. I have used 811A's in an SB200,
BUT, if you sit down on the key they will last only a few seconds, before
they blush badly and proceed to melt down.!! I have used them for test
purposes but only in an emergency, and then only *very carefully*.
   Going the other way, using 572B's in place of 811A's is not too uncommon
since the 572B can handle 2200-2400 volts on the plate, but the 811A's are
limited to about 1700-1800 v. max.!! (normal svc.)
CARL / KZ5CA