[Amps] measuring rf colis

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 25 00:35:13 EST 2006

Mike,

The Tek is a decent analog LCR meter. I've seen them for sell on eBay some. Boonton stuff is good the same as the old Genrad and ESI meters. The major problem though if you go back too far in manufacturing dates is the availability of repair parts. Genrad, now Quadtech has some of the old parts available for I believe the 1656 in the link. ESI now Tegam still has parts back to the 251. I think Leader still may have parts for the 740, I'm not sure. Some of these have precision wound resistors (oddball values with real precision), and coils from the manufacturer themselves, and those are what's hard to find a replacement. That's the reason I stay with somewhat newer models of used test equipment. HP is really good but their repair parts prices makes one cringe at the thought. There is a good bench style LCR meter now available off eBay new for about $600 from Mastech I think which if I bought new would probably buy.

Best,

Will