[Amps] power supply for larger solid-state amps

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Fri Jan 27 21:16:28 EST 2006

> I would like to use my SGC-500 in the shack from time to time so my
> attention has turned to a suitable power supply.

I have been using S.S. amps for years, (Metron, Henry, et al) both mobile
and at home.

I have always used a regular car battery, the same size as the one in the
car, with large, 2 feet or less, welding cables connecting the battery and
amp. The run to the auto charging system from the trunk can then be smaller
wire. (8-12 gauge) This gives you a spare battery in case the one that runs
the car goes QRT. When I bring the amp/battery into the garage, I hook up a
quality 15 amp fully tapering charger to the battery posts. This is more
than adequate for 500-750 watt SSB/CW use. The battery should be in a
well-vented area, not near any flame sources. All this should cost you under
$100 and will get you in business until you can find a suitable a.c. supply.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC