[Amps] AC to DC

Rich rdjmgmt at socket.net
Mon Jan 30 12:52:48 EST 2006

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:46:58 -0500
From: John Popelish <jpopelish at rica.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC to DC
To: Amps at contesting.com
Gary Schafer wrote:

> Yes, but my point is that an AC relay operated on DC with the DC
> voltage the same as the AC voltage rating, the relay may overheat.

Sorry, I missed what you you were implying.  Of course, any AC relay
will pull in with a DC voltage lower than its rated AC voltage, and
will almost certainly overheat if operated with DC voltage equal to
its rated AC voltage.

Rich ,kd0zz here , I asked the original question. I have limited cash
amount and trying to build an amp with what I have on hand. I have a
several Potter/Brumfield and other brands DPDT 10amp relays with 120v ac
coil, most octal base, some lugs.
When used in the R/F input/output my thought was that AC coil might
induce hum and could these be used at a different DC voltage.
Making a DC supply from stock on hand would be free, buying new relays
is not.

Thanks for any input as some already have , sorry for the confusion.

Rich , kd0zz